[cdwg] Summary of OpenSFS CDWG telecon on August 15th

Hamilton, Pam hamilton5 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 17 14:23:56 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Here is a summary of the telecon on August 15th from my notes:

Attendees:

Pam Hamilton, Chris Morrone - LLNL
Peter Jones - Intel
Cory Spitz, John Carrier - Cray
James Simmons - ORNL
Nic Henke - Xryatex

My apologies if I missed anyone.

Some of the topics were:
*  OpenSFS web site revamp - We discussed the ideas which were presented previously by Chris Morrone. We are considering two sets of web pages, with somewhat different styles.

1) OpenSFS (opensfs.org, www.opensfs.org)
2) Lustre (lustre.opensfs.org)

OpenSFS's pages should be all about the organization, what it does, who its members are, lists of activities, working group info, etc.

The Lustre pages on the other hand should not have "OpenSFS" branding across the top of the page; they should say "Lustre".  The OpenSFS sponsorship should be noted, but more subtly along the bottom.  E.G. "brought to you by OpenSFS".  The Lustre pages need to focus on Lustre:
what it is, how to get it, where to go for help, where to go to get involved in development. These would be simpler, mostly static pages with links off to the OpenSFS wiki, etc.

General requirements would include:

1) Content editing through web pages
2) Pages must render reasonably well in a variety of browsers (Firefox, Safari, IE, just as examples)
4) "Search engine optimization".  Should include reasonable meta data and organization so that search engines can properly index the pages.

ACTION: Present our ideas to a company who may be engaged to do the implementation.
ACTION: Ask the board for the parameters of what the CDWG can do with regard to this activity without getting permission first.

* A question was asked regarding the CDWG maintenance branch recommendations and if there has been any response from the board. To date, there hasn't been any communication from the any of the execs.

ACTION: Pam will resend the recommendations to the board and ask for feedback. Silence could be interpreted as acceptance?

* There was further discussion about the lack of communication flowing from the board to the working groups. A suggestion was made to follow-up with the community representative on the board, Steve Sims, and ask him to share appropriate board news with the working groups, possibly via a newsletter.

ACTION: Pam will follow-up with Steve regarding our communication improvement idea.

Next call will be Wednesday, August 29th, at 9am Pacific (Call-in: 866-914-3976 (925-424-8105) Passcode: 534986#)

Proposed agenda:
*  More web site discussion/follow-up
*  Lustre Roadmap update in preparation of the upcoming LAD meeting -  We need to make sure that our roadmap is well communicated to our community and to our board to avoid us advertising conflicting roadmaps.

Regards,
Pam

Pam Hamilton
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
P.O. Box 808, L-556
Livermore, CA  94551-9900
E-Mail:  pgh at llnl.gov
Phone:  925-423-1332          Fax:  925-423-8719