[cdwg] [wc-discuss] Lustre 2.3 release

tao.peng at emc.com tao.peng at emc.com
Fri Feb 17 00:58:18 PST 2012

It is great that we have the discussion so that our work don't get superfluous.

> On 12-02-15 6:15 PM, tao.peng at emc.com wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > Thanks for bringing it up. As the target date for 2.3 is September 2012, I'd like to add some EMC
> tasks (not necessary features though) that we hope to land in 2.3 release cycle. Please consider
> including them in your planning.
> >
> > 1. remove obsolete configure macros that are there to support old kernels (older than 2.6.18-latest)
> I believe that we are already tracking this task under LU-709. Your
> assistance in accelerating this work would be most appreciated.
Thank you for the information. I have done some work as well. I will look at LU-709 more closely and find a way to collaborate with Yang Shen.

I created LU-1113 (http://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-1113) for this one and attached related design document there. I also updated the wiki page to add a pointer to it.

> > 3. separate server connection handling from ptlrpc layer
> > 4. client kernel API adjustment to latest upstream kernel
> Cray are already working on supporting Linux 3.0 under LU-812 and there
> is a ticket already opened for Linux 3.1 support (LU-858). Perhaps it
> makes sense to collaborate on these earlier versions as there will be
> some overlap between the work required.
Agreed. We will try to collaborate with community on LU-812 and LU-858, and base our work of supporting latest Linux kernel on top of them.

Thanks,
Tao