[cdwg] Lustre 2.2 update - January 6th 2012

Peter Jones pjones at whamcloud.com
Fri Jan 6 14:32:18 PST 2012

Hi there

Here is an update on the Lustre 2.2 release.

Features Landed To Date
======================

- Asynchronous glimpse (LU925)
- Client parallel checksums (LU884)
- Imperative Recovery (LU580)
- Large xattrs (a.k.a "Wide Striping" Note: the core Lustre changes have
landed but some additional userspace and e2fsprogs changes are needed
before this functionality can be utilized) (LU80)
- Multi threaded ptlrpcd
- OSD API (LU909)
- Parallel directory operations (pDirOps) (LU50)
- Quota protocol/code improvements (LU847)
- SLES11 server patches (LU335)(Note: landed to tree but not built into
automated testing)
- Statahead (LU389)

Minor Enhancements
==================

-Several more of the patches to provide support for Fedora 15 Lustre
clients have been landed; the remaining four patches are undergoing
testing\inspections and should be ready to land shortly (LU506)
-RHEL 6.2 server\client support in progress (LU751)

Testing
=======

-Ongoing effort has been put into extending the degree of test
automation; recovery testing is believed to be ready to roll out and we
will make this switch over after the feature freeze

-After the feature freeze we expect to create a new tag and test; the
focus going forward will be to find and fix any bugs that would be a
blocker to 2.2 going GA

Feature Candidates
==================

The targeted release date remains March 2012. At the time of writing
there is still some final testing taking place on patches relating to
some of the below feature candidates and we may see one or more of them
land before the feature freeze.

- Data Version Per File (LU827)
- Layout Lock (LU169)
- Manage Dirty Flag for HSM (LU941)
- Mds-survey (LU593/LU633)

Those that are not ready in time will likely be in the 2.3 release
scheduled for September 2012.

We plan to create a new tag on Monday and will start an intensive period
of testing and bugfixing.

We will continue to provide periodic updates on our progress on this
release. In the meantime, you can always see the landings as they happen
at
http://git.whamcloud.com/?p=fs/lustre-release.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master
and follow the patch reviews and testing at
http://review.whamcloud.com/#q,status:open+project:fs/lustre-release+branch:master,n,z

Regards

Peter

--