[cdwg] Reminder - OpenSFS CDWG call tomorrow, 7/12, at 8:30am Pacific

Cory Spitz spitzcor at cray.com
Wed Jul 11 15:51:47 PDT 2012

Hi,

> Therefore the discussion for the call [tomorrow, 7/12] is to discuss a process for coming to consensus regarding the next maintenance release.

As Pam noted, the current contract doesn't maintenance branches, so in
terms of the (current) contract, I don't think that it is right for the
CDWG to expect that Whamcloud would follow any given recommendation.
Having said that, I think that we should have the discussion anyway with
the thought that Whamcloud is looking for that input :)  That's what the
previous surveys were for too.

It's also clear to me that we should think about changing the next
contract to cover maintenance branches in some manner.  Clearly we, as a
community, care deeply about it.  Maybe we could entertain a discussion
about a so-called "tick-tock" model too.  That is a big topic, so I
propose that we tackle it in an upcoming meeting.  That is, not tomorrow.

Another topic I'd like to raise for a future discussion is quality
metrics for the feature releases.  We haven't formally defined any and I
think that we should take a stab at it.  I realize that it doesn't do
any good without more test commitments and also that we haven't all
chipped in on testing as much as we wanted in the past.  Maybe this is
where the discussion on funding test enhancements come in, but I think
that there are other options to explore in the meantime.  We'll need to
figure out how to leverage the OpenSFS test cluster too.

Thanks,
-Cory