[cdwg] [wc-discuss] Lustre 2.2.0 released

Peter Jones pjones at whamcloud.com
Mon Jun 18 14:53:51 PDT 2012

Just getting back to this now and I think that Andreas has covered most
of the points I would have made below.

I would like to emphasize though that - contrary to James's definition
of a feature release - we _do_ support feature releases for production
usage (we have customers running 2.2 in production) and we do land
bugfixes throughout the release cycle (Lustre 2.2 contained a superset
of the bugfixes in 2.1.1 and more, for example)

I can certainly sympathize with Chris's viewpoint that it would be
helpful to have a fixed pre-announced cycle for which branches will end
up as maintenance release streams.

When we announced this scheme over a year ago there were so many
variables  - the rate of Lustre 2.x adoption, what features would be in
which releases, how would Lustre 2.x compare to Lustre 1.8.x in
production - that it seemed prudent to make a more informed decision
nearer the time.

The other aspect not touched upon is that we may not need to stick to
this model in the longer-term. We introduced this approach as a way of
directing scarce engineering/testing resources where they would have
maximum benefit, but as we increase the amount of test automation we
have in place, it may become more practical to revisit this decision and
provide maintenance releases for a fixed timeline rather than for a
targeted release stream.

As usual, everything boils down to how much of a priority this is
compared to other things we could be spending time on.

--
Peter Jones
Whamcloud, Inc.