[cdwg] Roadmap Refresh - DRAFT FOR REVIEW

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Mon Nov 5 16:27:37 PST 2012

I don't really have a problem with the content, but I think we need to
work on the presentation.  Some issues:

1) It makes it look like 1.8 continues indefinitely, while the current
maintenance branch, 2.1, is ending when 2.4 comes out
2) Maintenance/Feature Release terminology has confused many people
3) Showing 2.4.0 only on the "feature release" branch leads to problems
that we have already seen, where folks think that they should avoid it
and target the 2.4.1 release three months later instead.  I don't think
we want to convey that idea.

I think that we want to visually represent 2.4.0 more of a target for
people to use.  See my attached sketch.

I think that we can drop 1.8 line from the roadmap altogether.  It would
suffice to have a bullet point on another slide that mentions 1.8's
status as "ad-hoc only releases".

Perhaps trying to put the new feature developments on the same slide
that shows all of the development streams is too busy.  Maybe we have
one slide that is something like my attached "lustre streams" graphic
(but cleaned up and with dates added), and then the "Roadmap" slide is a
simpler one that shows only master.  That is, after all, where all of
the features land.

Perhaps call the first slide showing all of the streams and versions the
"Release Schedule", and the second one with only the major 6-month
releases along master and the planned new features the "Feature Roadmap".

Chris