[cdwg] Lustre 2.5 Development Planning

James A Simmons uja at ornl.gov
Mon Jun 3 10:41:20 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 13:41 -0400, Christopher J. Morrone wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Please send us your list of planned development items for Lustre 2.5!
> In two weeks at the next CDWG meeting we will be looking at the list of
> proposed work and making our first, best attempt at pare it down to a
> reasonable set of work for Lustre 2.5.
>
> If you have a new feature that you believe will be ready to land with in
> the three month feature-landing window of Lustre 2.5, NOW is the time to
> tell us!

One I have act as the SuSE police to make sure ldiskfs is kept in sync.
This covers all the ldiskfs work that will happen in 2.5. That will be
done mostly by me.

besides SLES11 other ldiskfs work
LU-2479 - fix max_dir_size checking
LU-2761 - sync ext4-kvalloc and journal callback
LU-2762   to what is used mainline

Lustre support against tip of Linus tree
LU-1812 - 3.6/FC18 server patches
LU-2686 - 3.7.2-201.fc18 client support
LU-2800 - autoconf cleanup and code update for newer kernels.
LU-2850 - 3.8 kernel support
LU-2987 - llite destroy_inode should call rcu free
LU-3097 - 3.9 kernel support

Patchless Lustre
LU-20   - Remove server side patches. Send block tunable
	  patches upstream. Sub task below:

LU-2498 - set IO scheduler to "deadline"
LU-3406 - merge raid5-mmp-unplug patch upstream
LU-2442 - quota scaling improvements. Need to be pushed
LU-3305   upstream
LU-684  - dev_rdonly patch is replaced by linux fail frame work.
LU-2757 - move dynlocks to osd-ldiskfs

and for the project I like to work on related to ldiskfs is to make
ldiskfs patchless against the tip of Linus tree. Anything that will
not be pushed upstream will be moved into osd-ldiskfs. No JIRA ticket
for this work yet.

Misc Lustre improvements
LU-549  - packaged xattr in single RPC reply
LU-2924 - shrink ldlm_poold workload
LU-2145 - unified request handler for MGS
LU-2059 - MGC to use OSD API
LU-2158 - lvfs and fsfilt removal

LNET work
LU-2456 - Dynamic LNET config support
LU-2950 - LNET route config
LU-2466 - LNET hash tables
LU-2934 - Router Priority

Enable LNET to process its own checksums and do hand shaking with
the ptlrpc layer. No JIRA ticket for this yet.

LNET change I would like so see these in 2.4.1 if possible as well :-)
LU-2212 - add crc32c module loading to libcfs
LU-2544 - SMP scaling to Gemini driver

Wish list work for myself that I most likely will not have ready for
2.5.X

Enable compression of LNET traffic.

Fix up Lustre so it can be built with llvm. First step to compile some
of the more cpu intensive code in lustre as TSGI code to be executed by
the GPU.