[cdwg] Pending items to land on Lustre Tree

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Tue Jun 11 10:56:55 PDT 2013

Kevin,

One thing that we should probably clarify is that you do not necessarily
have "65 items which are pending landing".  You may have 65 items
submitted to the patch review system, but that doesn't mean that they
are pending landing yet.  I would say that a patch is only in the
"pending landing" state when it has gotten all required positive
reviews, and had the gatekeeper reviewer assigned.

Pushing our patches to the review system is easy; addressing all of the
faults in our patches that are found by the reviewers is often difficult
and/or time consuming.   But this process of review is one of the best
tools that we have to maintain and improve the code quality in lustre.

I would suggest that the first step for your guys are:

1) Complete all work required by the patch reviewers.

2) Refresh all patches that no longer apply cleanly.

3) If steps 1 and 2 are complete, and the patch is not getting
attention, have a conversation in the associated Jira ticket.

4) Finally, if having a conversation in Jira does not achieve
satisfaction, bring the issue to the attention of the CDWG through the
cdwg mailing list.

I have spotted several patches from Xyratex that haven't met steps 1 or
2, let alone 3.  On one recent patch, a Xyratex developer flat out
refused to rebase an out of date patch, and insisted that Intel do it
for them.  That attitude needs to be addressed.  It is the patch
submitter's responsibility to get his patch into proper shape for
landing, not the patch reviewer's responsibility.

Yes, this process can be long and even tedious at times.  I understand.
  I feel your pain.  I have had simple patches that I have needed to
rebase several times because of other patches that landed before mine,
introducing a conflict for my patch.  But that is just a natural result
of many people working together in the same areas of code.

We can't possibly shift all of that work work up the chain to the top
reviewers or the gatekeeper.  That would be a fundamentally unscalable
approach to software development.  They can't possibly handle the work
load.  That is why the patch submitter must take on the responsibility
of seeing the patch through to 100% completion.

So I could be wrong, but I suspect that a much smaller number of those
65 patches that you mentioned are really ready to be discussed by the
broader CDWG.

But once your internal review is complete, and you have completed the
steps that I've listed, we are happy to discuss any patches that you
feel are being ignored!

Chris