[cdwg] Lustre 2.4 update - March 29th 2013

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Fri Mar 29 11:15:01 PDT 2013

On 03/28/2013 10:16 PM, Jones, Peter A wrote:

> Blockers
> ========
>
> -Full list available at https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/issues/?filter=10292
> -If there are any issues not presently marked as blockers that you believe should be, please let me know

I would like to request that we start using the jira "Fix Version/s"
field in the intended fashion.  I'm not surprised that people aren't
using it correctly, because Atlassian chose a rather amibiguous name for
the field.

"Fix Version/s" lists the _future_ version(s) in which the issue is
expected or required to be fixed.  "Fix Version/s" is used by jira
internally in several places.  If we begin using it as designed, this
page would become far more useful:

   https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LU

And those less involved in the day-to-day of git tree changes would not
need to deal with as many complicated search filters (the rest of us are
probably already using lots of search filters).

For instance, on the jira Lustre project page (from the URL above) there
are "Issues", "Roadmap", and "Change Log" tabs on the left side.  It
looks like many of the "blockers" that appear in your filter do not show
up in those normal jira project reports, and that is because the "Fix
Version/s" field is not being used reliably.

In contrast, the "Affects Version/s" field in jira is, as far as I can
tell, merely advisory.

One caution for those less familiar with jira:  The jira "Roadmap" is
not the "Lustre Roadmap" that we talk about in OpenSFS settings so
frequently.  The jira Roadmap is much more detailed, and contains all
bugs, issues, features, and kind of jira ticket.  The "Lustre Roadmap"
is more high level and deals with major lustre features and changes.

Chris