[cdwg] Summary of OpenSFS CDWG telecon on August 29th

Hamilton, Pam hamilton5 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 31 10:03:37 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Here is a summary of the telecon on August 29th from my notes:

Attendees:

LLNL - Pam Hamilton, Terri Quinn
Intel - Peter Jones, Jodi Levi
Cray - Cory Spitz, John Carrier
ORNL - James Simmons
Xryatex - Nic Henke, Colin Faber

My apologies if I missed anyone.

Some of the topics were:

*  Review of Action Items from the last call

ACTION: Present our ideas to a company who may be engaged to do the web site revamp.
   - Our ideas were presented to a company being considered for the contract. They will be working up a quote to give to Norm. Stay tuned.

ACTION: Ask the board for the parameters of what the CDWG can do with regard to the web site activity without getting permission first.
   - Pam passed along the question to Terri Quinn, the LLNL board member. Terri has asked the board for feedback. Stay tuned.

ACTION: Pam will resend the CDWG maintenance branch recommendations to the board and ask for feedback.
   - Pam asked Terri about the best way to get feedback from the board as we haven't gotten any to date and drafting the recommendations was a task given to the CDWG by the board. Terri has resent our recommendations to the board and asked for feedback. Stay tuned.

ACTION: Pam will follow-up with the community board rep, Steve Simmons, regarding our communication improvement idea between the board and working groups.
   - Pam sent Steve the CDWG's request for him to send board news to the working groups. He was agreeable and thought it was a good idea. The board currently is holding bi-weekly conference calls.

Other topics discussed:

*  Lustre Roadmap update in preparation of the upcoming LAD meeting
   - We need to make sure that our roadmap is well communicated to our community and to our board to avoid us advertising conflicting roadmaps.
   - Discussion surrounded the proposed updates to the community roadmap (http://wiki.whamcloud.com/display/PUB/Community+Lustre+Roadmap)
     o  2.1 Maintenance Releases will stop the quarter after 2.4 is released
     o  2.4 Maintenance Releases will start the quarter after 2.4 is released
     o  The box describing 2.3 content will be updated to reflect reality (ie. what really made it into the final release).
     o  Need to get updates from developers working on 2.4 content
     o  Need to investigate what's being considered for 2.5 content

ACTION: Peter Jones will send a draft of the new roadmap to the CDWG mail list.

*  Peter put forth a proposal to switch from a March/September Feature Release schedule to an April/October schedule. This would move the Feature Freeze date to the end of January rather than the end of December. Having the feature freeze in December has proved problematic due to the holidays and have staff available for code inspections, etc. This proposal is still under consideration since input is required from some key technical people at various sites.

*  The OS Support Matrix was discussed. Specifically, what will be needed in the 2.4 timeframe. Thoughts for 2.4 were:
   Server side - RedHat 6 for sure; No RedHat 5 since it was dropped with 2.2; SLES is low priority for Cray at this point.
   Client side - RedHat 6, SLES 11SP2 for sure; Consider deprecating RedHat 5 and SLES 11SP1.

ACTION: Peter will send a proposal to the CDWG mail list.

* Lustre version interoperability was discussed. There is a strong case for maintaining 1.8 interoperability with 2.4. Proposal is to drop 1.8 with 2.5. Of course, 2.4 interoperability would be maintained for 2.1 and 2.3.

ACTION: Peter will send a proposal to the CDWG mail list.

*  Redo of the Lustre Development Community Tree Maintenance contract was discussed. The board wants the CDWG to act on this. Pam committed to starting the activity in October. The consensus of the CDWG was that waiting until October is fine. Some preliminary discussions can happen at LAD for those CDWG members attending that meeting.

Next call will be Wednesday, October 10th, at 9am Pacific (Call-in: 866-914-3976 (925-424-8105) Passcode: 534986#)

Proposed agenda:
*  Lustre Development Community Tree Maintenance contract

Regards,
Pam

Pam Hamilton
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
P.O. Box 808, L-556
Livermore, CA  94551-9900
E-Mail:  pgh at llnl.gov
Phone:  925-423-1332          Fax:  925-423-8719