[cdwg] FW: Lustre Development Community Tree Maintenance Q2 2012 report

Peter Jones pjones at whamcloud.com
Tue Jul 24 12:31:09 PDT 2012

Hi Terri

The chart you are referring to is an aggregated summary of all the
testing results for master in our test results database (maloo) broken
down by test suite and git tag (which we create ~ every two weeks).

The numbers (x/y) show the number of test runs that passed with no
failures (x) and the total number of test runs. Each test suite executes
many tests. The number of tests run should increase over time as new
tests are added in conjunction with bugfixes.

Some test suites have been removed because they were deemed to be
obsolete (e.g. liblustre) and some have been added (e.g. mds-survey)

The best way to analyze this report is dynamically online at
https://maloo.whamcloud.com/reports. There you are able to drill into
the individual test runs and see what configuration was run and the
details of any failures (with links to JIRA)

Our goal is work through all the test failures (which are mostly due to
either tests that were written with certain assumptions that are not
reliably valid in our present-day testing environment or to certain
configurations which the test environment does not fully support yet) so
that all tests will show as green unless there is an actual bug introduced.

As to how well this correlates to the quality of the work, that is open
to debate. Personally, I think that, while I would not look at this data
in isolation, I think that it has the advantage of being largely
comparable to earlier Lustre releases and less affected by unrelated
factors. For example, if we looked at the number of bugs reported
against a given release, say, this could be affected by the the total
number of sites running Lustre, or the introduction of new hardware that
breaks former coding assumptions and so overall quality improvements
could be offset by "noise" (or vice versa if people are slow to adopt
newer releases and so do not discover and report bugs, say)

I'll be happy to answer any further questions that you have either via
email or on the upcoming CDWG call on Thursday.

Regards

Peter

--
Peter Jones