[cdwg] Monitoring Ticket Progress

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Thu Aug 8 18:14:55 PDT 2013

On 08/08/2013 09:06 AM, Denis Kondratenko wrote:
> That how this hole thread was started - we do want to do this under CDWG and just searching right way to do it.

Great!

I believe the right way to do it is for the patch submitter to keep
track of his/her submissions.  If a submitted patch needs attention,
they should raise the issue in the associated Jira ticket.  I find that
often just a friendly reminder is all it takes to get attention on a
patch, or an explanation of why the patch needs to wait.

If that does not solve the problem, the next step is to raise the issue
on the CDWG mailing list.  List the specific patch(es) that you think
need attention.  We will discuss and come to a decision together.

Lets try it out with the list that you supplied:

 >> http://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/3553/

Landed on master, August 6, 2013.
No action needed.

 >> http://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/3277/

Landed on master, June 21, 2013.
No action needed.

 >> http://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/5213/

-1 code review from Andreas, 30 inline comments.
Waiting on Xyratex to fix and push next version for review.

 >> http://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/4372/

Landed on master, June 13, 2013.
No action needed.

 >> http://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/4641/

Landed on b2_1, May 20, 2013.
Out of scope for OpenSFS "tree contract", but nevertheless, no action
needed.

 >> http://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/4664/

This is probably a good example of one that has sat a while.  We could
chat about what happened here.  If you go to the associated jira ticket:

   https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LU-2377

it seems clear to me that Intel's opinion was that upstream ext4 was a
more appropriate place for this patch than carrying it in the ldiskfs
patch stack.

Conversation between Xyratex and Intel looks like it went nicely.

Did Xyratex follow through with sending this patch to the upstream ext4
developers?

 >> http://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/3725/

Patch is for b2_2.  There are no community endorsed b2_2 maintenance
releases.  No action should be expected on this patch.

If this is a problem that still exists on master, Xyratex should submit
a patch to master.

 >> http://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/2406/

Patch is for b1_8.  There are no longer any community endorsed b1_8
maintenance releases (some Lustre vendors offer their customers
maintenance releases as they see fit).  No action should be expected on
this patch.

-----

That is how I would envision the process going in the future.  When
developer feels that a patch isn't making enough progress, and didn't
get an adequate explanation in Jira, they raise here with the CDWG.  I
will look it over as Technical Representative on the tree contract,
along with anyone else in the CDWG that wants to contribute.

Together with the interested party and Intel, we will decide on the
needed course of action.

 > Again, I don't want to start any war or discussion about those
tickets, or about some other.
 > I don't want to blame anyone about something. But for me obviously
some problems exit.

Ok, maybe those patches are not the right ones to discuss.  But you
really should start discussions about patches that are currently a
problem.  Bringing a problem to our attention should not be the start of
a war.  It should be the start of a discussion, which will result in a
plan of action, which will guide us to a solution.

Chris