[cdwg] Maintenance releaase status of 2.5/2.4

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Thu Jun 27 14:55:48 PDT 2013

Cory,

The new official URL for the community roadmap is this:

   http://lustre.opensfs.org/community-lustre-roadmap/

And, yes, we will absolutely update that roadmap to show 2.5 as the next
maintenance branch instead of 2.4.  Maybe we'll keep a stubby branch for
2.4 in the picture that shows 2.4.1 and 2.4.2.

Unless I completely misunderstood, nothing Peter has said contradicts
that plan.  He is on board with us advertising 2.5 as the longer term
"scheduled maintenance".

Peter is just making clear Intel's business plan, which is nice of him
to share, and again, does not conflict with the community plan.  They
are going to support 2.5 for their customers, and they will _also_
support 2.4 for their customers that choose to keep paying for it.

Great!  LLNL is an Intel customer, and we plan to take them up on that.
  We are on the path to install 2.4 everywhere soon, and it is not clear
to me how quickly we can change our plans to move to 2.5.  But we are
working on adapting our plans to align with the community and go to 2.5
at the earliest reasonable date.

If you are not an Intel customer, then their support of 2.4 for their
customers doesn't particularly apply to you.  No worries.

The important thing is that Intel is agreeing with the plan to advertise
regularly scheduled maintenance releases for the 2.5 branch along with
the community.

Chris