[cdwg] New Wiki for OpenSFS

Shipman, Galen M. gshipman at ornl.gov
Wed Nov 7 19:34:30 PST 2012

On Nov 7, 2012, at 6:57 PM, Christopher J. Morrone wrote:

OpenSFS has had hosted services available for over two years on github,
and they have gone completely unused.  What development projects does
OpenSFS plan to engage in, and what services do those projects need?

We have some folks from NASA that have expressed interest in releasing software through OpenSFS, in the past ORNL expressed interest in hosting a repo and releasing software through OpenSFS.
I would assume that if we had software released through OpenSFS it would be good to have a trouble ticket system such as Jira. I wasn't aware that we have an OpenSFS github instance. Can you send me the details off list?

We need a wiki.  Lets stick to that for now.

Certainly covering one item at a time make sense, just pointing out that we could provide other hosted services along with Confluence.

Could we use a hosted Confluence?  Yes, we could.  Are you volunteering
ORNL man power to work on this?  If so, in what time frame can you have
the evaluation done?  The setup done?

So this is a manpower issue at heart if Confluence is a hosted service? You anticipate this requiring more effort than MediaWiki because it is setting up a new service or is it the ongoing care/feeding of the system the issue?
We could look into getting some IT resources at ORNL to help with this but I do wonder if we are getting close to the point that it would make sense for OpenSFS to have a part-time sysadmin for these types of activities.
Not sure if the total level of admin effort expended at this point warrants this, do you have a sense for the amount of volunteer time goes into these types of things today? How about in the future with a more rich web presence, will things uptick from this as well?

Thanks,

Galen