[cdwg] Make Lustre 2.5 a maintenance release?

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Wed May 22 10:53:33 PDT 2013

Lustre community:

As we all know, HSM is a Lustre feature that is desired by many, but was
not fully completed in time for the Lustre 2.4 release.  As a result,
many folks are wondering if Lustre 2.4 is really the best branch to
support for a long period of time (18 or more months).

HSM is very likely to be completed for 2.5, and multiple vendors and
organizations are planning to move to that version, and desire long term
support for that branch.

On the other hand, we have for some time been advertising quite widely
that Lustre 2.4 will begin the next significant maintenance branch, and
some organizations have built there plans around that guidance.

I would like to officially propose the following action:

1) Announce that Lustre 2.4 will have maintenance releases as planned,
but the maintenance window has been shortened to just 6 months.  In
other words, we will only expect to see maintenance releases on Lustre
2.4 branch for roughly 6 months.

2) Announce that the Lustre 2.5 branch will be long term maintenance branch.

Are there any objections?  Any adjustments that should be made to that
statement?

Chris