[cdwg] Combo working group logistics

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Wed Jul 30 13:44:01 PDT 2014

On 07/30/2014 11:45 AM, Cory Spitz wrote:
> If we go with a combo CDWG+TWG, what will we call the group?  Will we
> change the mission(s) at all?  I'd suggest that we keep the 'community
> development' as it can/does cover new features (and maybe technology).
>   The we simply just dissolve the TWG in name only.  Thoughts on that?

Well, I was a little worried about bike shedding, but since you asked...:)

I'd like to change the name.  Too many folks have seemed to confuse the
"Community Development" group's purpose to be to be a non-technical
group that focuses on Development of a Community.  It is, in fact, the a
group with the goal to coordinate the software development efforts of
the community.

Here are my suggestions:

Lustre Working Group
Lustre Development Working Group
Lustre Software Development Working Group.

The new group will take a more holistic view of the Lustre software
development life cycle.  Features will be treated as another part of
software development.

> Also, I think that marketing the switch and carrying out all the
> logistics with the web pages and mailing address might take a while.  It
> would be nice to wrap it up around LAD'14 so that we could more easily
> get the word out.

I don't think that will be too much of a problem.  I can handle the wiki
page, I'll get our web czar to update the opensfs.org pages.

I would like to make sign up to the new group's mailing list voluntary.
  I will make announcements on the old lists that they are going away,
and convert them to read-only (for the archives).

If I don't still know the correct passwords to OpenSFS's dreamhost
account, I will engage VTM folks to get the appropriate changes made.

Chris